FOS Events & News
Friends of Slovakia mourns the passing of former Secretary of State Madeleine Korbelová Albright. Proud immigrant, trailblazing diplomat, distinguished educator, and tireless advocate for democracy and the rule of law. Rest in Peace! Read Madeline Albright’s Obituary published by the Washington Post on March 23, 2022.
FOS is thrilled to announce the launch of an exciting new program that aims to foster understanding, engagement, and friendship between university students from the United States and Slovakia. This unique initiative has been developed by the FOS Student Exchange Committee led by Dr. Elizabeth Guran (committee chair), and supported by other committee members including […]
FOS Board of Advisors member and Senior Fellow at the German Marshall Fund, Dr. Pavol Demeš gave the Annual Thomas Kukucka Lecture at the University of Pittsburgh as a part of the Slovak Studies Program.
Friends of Slovakia congratulates Beata Balagova, editor-in-chief of SME, for winning this year’s European Press Prize for Opinion for her article “How We Stopped Being Comrades”.
Friends of Slovakia mourn the passing of former Amb. Branislav Lichardus, on February 8 at the age of 88. Dr. Lichardus, a noted medical doctor and researcher, became the first Slovak ambassador to the U.S. following Slovakia’s independence in 1993. He served successfully in Washington from 1994-1998, a particularly challenging time for the U.S. – […]
The annual transatlantic security conference organized by the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA) has become the leading event in Washington D.C. focused on issues in Central and Eastern Europe. The theme of this year’s CEPA Forum 2017 was “Preserving Atlanticism in a Time of Change,” and was held on September 21-22 in Washington, D.C. […]
The First Catholic Slovak Union (FCSU) celebrated its 125th Anniversary with a gala dinner at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Cleveland on August 29, 2015. Several members of Friends of Slovakia played key roles in the celebration and/or participated in the festivities. The First Catholic Slovak Union (FCSU), also known as the ‘Jednota’ (Union) was […]
As the world’s economies seek economic growth and jobs, emphasis is increasingly placed on the key role played by innovation. A recent Washington Post op-ed by Fareed Zakaria noted, “Innovation is partly about entrepreneurship but also about technology.” And there are some, such as billionaire Peter Thiel, who argue that, despite the hype, we don’t […]
- Ukraine halts legal action against Slovakia amid grain import dramaby Karol Slovik, Marián Koreň on October 1, 2023 at 6:03 am
Legal action against Slovakia, including before the World Trade Organisation and a ban on imports […]
- Covid-19 in Slovakia Q&A: Will there be another wave? What about vaccines?by Ján Krempaský, Daniela Hajčáková, Compiled by Spectator staff on October 1, 2023 at 6:03 am
What you need to know about the coronavirus in the country.
- Post-war architecture shedding communist stigmaby Jana Liptáková on October 1, 2023 at 6:03 am
Champion of socialist building style says there is little time to save iconic buildings from […]
- Man Accused of $730,000 Pandemic Loan Fraud Appears in Federal Court in St. Louison October 1, 2023 at 6:03 am
Mark Ethan Jermain, from Slovakia, appeared in court in St. Louis to answer an indictment that […]
- Liturgical Fashion #1by catholicsensibility on October 1, 2023 at 6:03 am
Apparently, this leopard skin chasuble was widely disliked in Italy, where the image first […]
- Remember that child trafficker who was arrested at the Ukraine-Slovakia border? He just admitted a Ukrainian boarding school in Perechyn is a FRONT for organ harvesting networkby Ethan Huff on October 1, 2023 at 6:03 am
(NaturalNews) Back in early July, we covered the story with leaked video showing the confession of […]